In the book “All I asking for is my body,” Kiyoshi mother believed in superstition. She felt that every new year she had to start clean by “all debts paid, all the food cutting and cooking done by midnight on New Year’s Eve.. you bathed in the morning on New Year’s Day.” (21) Everything that she did, she was always cautious about it.
My Mother is also old school. She believe in bad luck, like if we step on a crack she believes it’ll crack her back. I’m not sure why people believe so much in superstition, some of it just sounds so phony and so unreal, but my mother says when they were younger a lot of people believed in bad luck.
Another thing I noticed about Kiyoshi’s family, is that they don’t make enough money to buy themselves goodies, it seems that the only money they make is enough for only food. In the book it says that they loose all there teeth, that says a lot about them. People who aren’t rich, seem to only worry about food, nothing else. Its sad to see that they cant afford to buy toothpaste for there teeth.
Hi Myra,
ReplyDeleteYou're right that the family has very little money; certainly not enough for treats like candy, and barely enough for the essentials to live. In this section, Mrs. Oyama states most of the family's debts. These debts will play a large role in the next section.
Lauren
Hi,
ReplyDeleteI feel sorry for the way that this family had to live, from week to week seems to be an overstatment. For them not to have money fr the essentials, not just food but decent health care, must have been a great burden for household. The way that superstitions shape the way people think is still all around us. I still think it's bad luck to walk under a ladder, but only because something could fall on you.
Thanks for the read
Hi Myra,
ReplyDeleteMy mother as well believes in superstition, and sometimes I hate it because I have to please her when she believes in something, I have to do what she says. It is sad that they have to live paycheck by paycheck. And also they have to pay there debts by the end of the year that's tough.
Hey Myra,
ReplyDeleteI do not see why people believe in such silly superstitions either, although I do think they are fun to read. It is kind of sad that Kiyo’s family cannot even afford to buy toothpaste but what is even sadder is I remember reading that they own money to a bunch of stores and a fish market so most likely they cannot even afford to buy food.
Sabrina