Thursday, October 28, 2010

Smoked Signals


As I watched the movie “Smoke Signals” Victor is this young man who lives on the reservation with his mom. He’s mother kicked out Arnold, Victor’s dad because she would see how much pain Arnold was causing to his family with his drinking problem. I can really relate to Victor in this case because my father also had a drinking problem, and he almost lost all of us. I can understand why Victor had so much anger built up inside of him. He would witness his father beating his mother and also his father would beat up Victor also for no apparent reason.
 
What I really couldn’t fully understand was why Victor was so mean to Thomas. I can understand that the questions Thomas asked Victor about his dad would get him upset but it still didn’t make sense. Thomas seemed like this compassionate, friendly guy who tried to be there for him even though his questions were a little annoying to Victor. It seemed that at the end of there journey they discovered that no matter where life might take them Victor would always have Thomas there, to make him laugh or just to annoy him. Sometimes we don’t realize what we until that person is long gone. That’s what Victor ended up realizing at the end when he lost his father.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Myra,
    You must know how it feels to be in the situation Victor was in. I hope everything worked out for you. I think that Victor was treating Thomas badly because be was just being a bully. He was angry at the world and he was taking it out on anyone that would listen especially Thomas. Thomas continued to be Victor's friend no matter what. That is a special friend, Victor was very lucky. Also, I would proof read your writing a couple times. I know this sure helps me. I really enjoyed your writing. Thanks. Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Myra,

    I don't think Victor fully understands why he's a bully and mean to Thomas. Victor has an unhappy home life, probably feels unloved by his father, and is dealing with the effects of colonization. He's angry with everything and everyone. As he grows older, he learns to be "stoic", but the rage is still there. One of the reasons the last scene is powerful is because we finally see Victor drop his stoic mask; it leaves me hopeful that he'll heal.

    Thanks for your ideas.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Myra,
    We really don't understand what we have until it's gone. I think at the end Victor learned to appreciate Thomas for what he's done for him. The journey was very important to both of them especially Victor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Myra,
    I agree with you that we don't really understand that we need someone until they are gone. I also don't think that Victor knew how mean he was to Thomas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Myra-

    I think this movie was about a hard lesson learned about not knowing what you have until its going. I also think that Victor was unaware of how mean he was towards Thomas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just like you, I can relate to this Movie. I didn't want to write about it because I thought it was too personal. But I'm glad that you did, its great that you shared this with all of us.

    ReplyDelete